Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Word of the Year 2018

This year’s Word, was less clear or settled than other years.  As I mentioned previously, I am simple minded like a child. I forgot to mention that I need visuals around me, as I can so quickly develop ‘soul amnesia’ as Ann Voskamp refers to it in her blog A Holy Experience and her books. She’s one of my kindred spirit book/blog mentors. So each year I have chosen a word, I have found or purchased something to display in my bathroom or bedroom to help me not forget.  Abide was my favorite, as I printed and framed the text, but had a simple vine clip from a floral department on the sink. To see the vine.

So when I started pondering words for this year, aka realized I should plan a new word in the last ten days of December, I sort of panicked. I had no ornament, framed verse, word, or letter to display, and the word that came to mind, isn’t an ordinary home decor word, and seemed more weighty or significant than other words I've been led to embrace. 

  Yet as I woke up on January 1st, and prayed about my Word, the first thing I saw on social media was this Adoration from another kindred spirit soul sister blogger/author mentor Sara Hagerty

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdaPKmJlOvA/
I will give her her vineyards from there,
And the Valley of Achor as a door of hope;
She shall sing there,
As in the days of her youth,
As in the day when she came up from the land of Egypt.
Hosea 2:15
•
Photo: @christenbyates #januaryadoration

This is what I see....and I said okay Lord, my word will be Restore!

In my mind, restore, especially in a biblical sense, is something that happens with the Lord's leading.  As I've looked at many verses that mention this concept, it remains clear. 

The Lord restores Israel, The Lord restores the joy of my salvation, people ask that God restore them, or it is coupled with concepts like gentleness, comfort, from ruin/destruction, etc.  Restore has an inherent connection to making amends, to renew, to re-establish, to give up, to give back,...

I guess my hesitation to accept this concept as a focus for the year is the enormity and expanse of the reach of God's work when He restores a person, a people, or a place for His glory.  It seems to be layering in faith, abiding, trust, joy, hope, and who God is all on one plate, and fully, perhaps lying prostrate before Him waiting expectantly, knowing He will make it happen, even when it's dark and ugly. The awe and the expanse of possibilities of what God can do in His timing are not lost on me.  

Restore is something that God does. Over and over  Initially, He restores us from our brokenness, sin, and ugliness.  This happens at the moment of salvation, He restores us, allowing us access to His presence, His goodness and glory, bought with the blood of Jesus who redeems and rescues us from our sin.  His restoration provides full fellowship with Him through the Holy Spirit in this present day, and He is preparing a new heaven and a new earth to fully restore us to fellowship with Him.  So it's ongoing, reoccuring, and will be fulfilled across all eternity.  It just seems like a large expectation and concept to focus on in my daily life. 

Perhaps as I've grown in my faith, as the Word of the Lord has transformed my heart, renewed my Spirit, and continues to be alive and active, sharper than a two edge sword, there is still doubt or fear underlying in my soul.  Can I trust that the Lord will restore me in the ways I need? will I be courageous enough to face His restoration? Will it be humbling? painful? or am I letting the Spirit restore and renew my joy found in salvation?  It's my prayer that I honor and bring glory to God as I seek out this renewal and restoration process in my life. 

Still pondering which scripture I should choose to meditate on as I pursue what the Lord has for me in this choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment