Friday, January 12, 2018

My One Word: Restore, a word study

Looking at the Bible has been a primary plan and approach to internalize and meditate on my word.

Word studies can help pull it together. but words in isolation can also lead you astray and to make incorrect inferences.  The reading teacher in me knows that, but the theologian in me, says this is not an area I have a foundation to build on.

Baker's Evangelical Dictionary Commentary says this:  The Old and New Testaments use terms such as "restore" and "renew" to image God's control of history and the believer's spiritual life.  

Literal meanings are easy-- God restores physical things- land, property, health, ....The figurative meanings are more complex.  And that's part of what stopped me in my tracks, trying to ignore this word for 2018.  

It refers to spiritual restoration.  That seems acceptable, I'm quick to admit that as much as I've grown, I'm still a sinner, broken, ugly, yet redeemed and rescued by a God I cannot fully comprehend through His Son whom I am grateful for, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, since on my own sin is easier to fall back on.   

I paused a little more as I recognized another figurative connotation.  It refers the the maturity of the believer and calls the believer to mentor and encourage those whose foundation is not as firm.  This sounds simple, teach what you know, humbly and with the Lord's help  

It's the third meaning that I know is bigger than I can comprehend. It's the eschatology connection- when Elijah comes up,  it moves beyond just being rebirth or renewal in the faith.  There are questions about when this will happen, has it happened, who will be involved, and what conclusions are we to draw.  It heads into thoughts of heaven, and eternity, which is being present with God, and His restoration of those who belong to Him for eternity.  And it's likely the aspect I need to investigate, research, and likely use my 'phone a friend' and ask many wise and well educated theologians for insight on.  

Webster's Dictionary; 
To bring back to its former state; to bring back from a state of ruin, decay, disease, or the like; to repair, renew, recover.  
To give or bring back, as that which has been lost or taken away.  To bring back to the Owner,  to replace.  
To renew, to reestablish, as to restore harmony among those who are a variance
To make good, to make amends for. 

Greek: Restore 

to give back  apokathistemi
to give up, give back, return apodidomi
set upright- anorthoo
renew- anakainizo

Hebrew:
azab- to restore, repair
shub-to turn back, return
alah- to go up, ascend, climb 

As I prayerfully ponder these meanings, I believe that I'm being led to meditate on more than one concept, but to trust God to restore our home and family life, as we work to encourage our children in their faith professions and help them learn to live a life that is grounded in the Word of God and to choose to know the Lord Jesus more intimately each day.   And for my heart to be focused on the restoring that God offers me daily, moment by moment, or even second by second, as I strive to live a life denying myself- and living for Him.  Surrendered to His Will, His Word, and His way.     

One step closer to choosing a verse to focus on or verses for my year.   


No comments:

Post a Comment