Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Mindset growth or fixed

I love learning about the how God created our brains with so much that researchers can learn about how they function. And how much we can even teach children about our brains, to help improve their learning. 

Several years ago, my student teaching graduates, gave me the following book, as they felt that I had encouraged them to have a mindset like this. 

Beautiful Opps

Beautiful Oops! by Barney Saltzberg (2010-09-23)


Our shared experience, had been my pre-student teaching advice.  All you need to do is create new mistakes for every observation, and you will still earn an A.  Because if you make a mistake, but learn from it, that's an excellent teacher skill, and as long as you aren't repeating the same mistake for weeks on end, you are growing.  That's what we all need- to grow as learners and leaders. 

When several of them struggled, I asked them, after studying the Bible and Education, as a double major, and being successful enough to student teach, is YOUR God big enough to direct you in the humble process of learning how to teach kids, which involves sometimes failing, in front of a class of children?  Cause my God is big enough to direct me in anything He leads me to do.  

This is real life, and if you can't trust God to guide you through student teaching, and the mistakes that are a part of it, don't get married, definitely don't have your own children, probably you should avoid rooming with others, because we need God to guide us in all relationships with others.   Raising children is like teaching them, very sanctifying, as you see your mistakes and sin, lived out in front of you.  Marriage and room mates, as well. 

But as I've moved to being at home with my children, serving their needs at home, and sometimes in their schools.  I've continued to study Growth vs Fixed Mindset.    And I've always wondered, what is someone who lives by the Word of God's version of a growth mindset for our lives as followers of Christ.  Here's an infographic (that I'm allowed to share on my blog) that introduces it.  Here's a youtube video that also explains it.

So I'll be exploring this and attempting to share my musings on my blog, to help others embrace growing in Christ as a mindset.  I bet that many of you already have great concepts that come to mind to help your mindset be growth oriented with God.  Feel free to share in the comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment