Monday, January 8, 2018

Review: Shepherd on the Search Advent Book and Kit





Beautiful, sturdy small (4 by 6 inches) read aloud book, with brilliant concepts (see table of contents below) from the Bible brought to life for 25 daily readings leading up to December 25th.  Tip-- Dayspring marks these down and have many sales through out the year, so does CBD, so put it on a wishlist and watch the prices to make it more reasonable.   I'm not an affliate of either- just someone who likes to support companies of Christian products. 

For truly simple fun, you can buy the stuffed shepherd and intro book in a sturdy manger box to mirror the elf. If you are frugal, and have a shepherd nativity set, you could use your own shepherd to hide every day and read this book, and if you kids are too cool for finding a shepherd- this book isn't focused on that- its 25 great concepts to ponder, treasure, and process as we anticipate and wait for the Lord Jesus birthday celebration. I loved that after a short reading, it had a Let's Search the Bible (with several passages to look up-- hello- something for each of our 4 kids to read aloud for the family! #win) and a Let's Live it Out suggestion. Sweet, simple ideas that bring in higher level thinking about Advent. I love it.

I can't wait to read it next year, and wonder if we will end up with Christmas in July this year so I can read this and talk about it with my 4 kids! I like the pictures, the teaching concepts are higher level thinking, biblical based, with great real life connections to think about. I really like it- so much I sat down and read it all the day it arrived.
The Shepherd on the Search Family Advent Book: Discover the Joy of Finding CHRIST in Christmas
Shepherd On the Search Activity Set  -
This the the KIT-- it includes the picture book to introduce your shepherd to your children, to give your shepherd a name, I'm calling ours SHEP, we will see if my kids vote otherwise next December.  

It does not include the 4 by 6 book that makes this such a simple, already done for you ADVENT meaningful activity.

My daughter has been driving me crazy begging for an Elf... and that's not how we process Christmas. Her Kindergarten teacher had an elf on the shelf visit Kindergarten several days and she turned it into a brilliant educational activity- instead of daily journalling, the kids were motivated to draw and write a letter about the Elf's antics in their classroom. It was great, secular education!! So fun, we researched other ELF ideas for my daughter to share with her teacher. My daughter talked about it, and two plus years later is still asking- when we will do the ELF at home mom? I've told her- her elf at school was naughty, it got into trouble, and it was preparing for Santa to bring presents- at our house we exchange gifts to remember Jesus as the true gift of Christmas, but we don't talk about Santa or have Santa presents.

We are of german heritage and we do talk about St. Nicholas who fills children's shoes on the eve of Dec 5th so they waken to treats December 6th morning, as my husband's family has always celebrated. St. Nicholas brings books, chocolate, and a small treat- this year fidgets for each of the children.

We look at Christ's coming, as a babe, born in a manager, and a naughty elf just doesn't easily make a connection about the birth of Jesus for me. Instead we've read Jotham's journey series aloud to anticipate and re-live Bible life and what the experience of the children alive when Jesus was born might be like. And my three older BOYS have been captivated and on the edge of their seats to listen for the entire advent season.

But my girl, well she wants to share with her friends who talk about their elves each day. So I decided I need to find a compromise. So next year "Shep" (you get to name your Shepherd) will be hidden each day of December. I haven't done the hiding yet as I bought it after Christmas for next year so I can't report on that. But what i can say is- this kit, you are buying a stuffed shepherd and a book that introduces the concept (like the elf) of finding him every day in December.

That's all the beautiful hard cover story book does- is set up the expectation rather simply. But they also sell a small advent book to read aloud (mentioned above) and you MUST purchase this as well. I loved it. So if you need an alternative, this is it, but alone it's not a fully prepared daily connection to Christ without the advent read aloud book. And if you want to be frugal, just get the 4 by 6 book to read, use a shepherd from your nativity scene, or any stuffed something, to look for, and go ahead.


But next year, my daughter will be the 3rd grader sharing the antics of our Shepherd with her girl friends on the playground, and hopefully witnessing of the love of Christ, as I will be thinking through 25 fun things a shepherd can do as he seeks the Lord Jesus each day. Feel free to share ideas in the comments-- I know me-- I need to make a plan now and put it away with the Shepherd so this will really happen... Pinterest here I come! I'll share whenever I figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment