Saturday, January 13, 2018

One Word 2018: Restore, in the Word of God

In looking up, restore in several translations, commentaries, etc. I have come to recognize that RESTORE is a characteristic of God.  He takes joy in being our restorer or restoration.  
  • God restores us from sin.
  • God restores my soul.   
  • God restores health.
  • God restores a repentant heart.  
  • God restores joy.  
  • God restores nations.  
  • God restores blessing to a repentant heart and is pleased to do it.  
  • God restores double.  
  • God will restore all things when his son returns for believers.  
  • God restores people, His goal is people who faithfully worship Him.  
  • God reminds people He will restore them, He brings back hope, healing, etc.
  • God asks that believers restore others with gentleness.  
  • God restores us in our suffering, He works to perfect us.  
Verses with RESTORE....

Psalm 23:3, NASV
"He restores my soul, He guides me in the paths of righteousness, for His name's sake." 

Psalm 51:12, NASV
"Restore to me the joy of your salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit." 

Psalm 80:3, NASV
"O God restore us, And cause your face to shine upon us, and we will be saved" 

Psalm 80:19 ESV
"Restore us, O Lord God of hosts, let your face to shine upon us and we would be saved."

Isaiah 57:18
"I have seen his ways, but I will heal him, I will lead him and restore comfort to him and his mourners."  

Lamentations 5:21 NASV
"Restore us to You, O Lord, that we may be restored, Renew our days as of Old." 

Galatians 6:1 ESV
"Brothers, if anyone is caught in any transgression, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness. Keep watch on yourself, lest you to be tempted."

1 Peter 5:10 HCSB
"The God of all grace; who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little while."

Psalm 69:4 NKJV
"Those who hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of my head. They are mighty who would destroy me. Being my enemies wrongfully though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it." 

Isaiah 1:26 NKJV
"I will restore your judges at first, and your counselors at the beginning. Afterward you shall be called the city of righteousness, the faithful city."  

Other references.... 
2 Kings 8:1, Nehemiah 3:8, Daniel 9:25, Nahum 2:2, Amos 9:11, Psalm 126:4, Ruth 4:15, Job 33:26 Isaiah 49:6, Isaiah 52:8, Jeremiah 30:17, Jeremiah 27:22, Joel 2:25, Zechariah 9:12, Mathew 17:11, Mark 3:5, Acts 1:6

So as I have pondered this, 1 Peter 5:10 has stood out to me.  So I looked for resources at Bible.org.  

I found this explanation from Bob Deffinbaugh, one of my favorite teachers, as he normally puts concepts into words in ways that totally make sense to me!  

He explains that this chapter is about suffering, the saints, and Satan.  He shares that Peter is reminding us to stand firm in our Faith because God WILL use our faith and trust for His glory. 

Bob Deffinbaugh's words. I linked the whole article above.  
 "Suffering is the means by which God—the God of all grace—perfects, confirms, strengthens, and establishes us (1 Peter 5:10).153 The very trials which may appear to be the means Satan employs for our destruction are the means God employs for our deliverance and development. Behind the opposition of unbelievers stands Satan seeking to devour us, and behind Satan stands God, sure to perfect and purify us."  

I'm recognizing that as I seek God this year, as I seek out that my heart, mind, and soul would be restored and used for the glory of God.

I think my verse for the year is 1 Peter 5:10, and the promise that God restores, establish, strengthen and support ME in any suffering I experience, and as I seek to know who I am in God's eyes when unbelievers or Satan seek to destroy my faith and trust in God. This verse is a great foundation to build on!


1 Peter 5:10 HCSB

"The God of all grace; who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, establish, strengthen, and support you after you have suffered a little while."


No comments:

Post a Comment