Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Waterbrook Partner Review: Brave Motherhood by Rachel Martin



I wanted to love this book. I know many others do. But it wasn’t for me. I’m a Waterbrook partner and get to read all kinds of books before they are released. This one was disappointing because it’s basically a self help book from a christian blogger but is all about empowering women to take control of their own lives without God mentioned.  The closest aspect or mention is finding her faith.  She shares the story of Joseph in the Bible and compares it to her life as well, but it's minimal, and to me this was such a missed opportunity to speak truth from the Word of God and to share how the Holy Spirit leads, directs, and empowers us to fight fear, gain confidence and find yourself in Him.  Instead it uses catchy phrases that could easily be biblical- but no direction connections- heart issues- are all about your cognitive, emotional state.  








This book did not help whisper the Word to a healthy mindset to then be better equipped to whisper it with your family.  





No connection or need for God to help lead you. Strength comes from your mindset but no connection to a biblical worldview. It was very much I chose to be brave. I stopped the cycle. I managed my fear. But basically her guidelines are secular. She does not integrate the gospel. The Word of God or anything other than the occasional we prayed about it. It’s purely her experiences and choices that she encourages other moms to not loose themselves, to grow and stay focused on their hopes, dreams, and finding themselves.   Lots and lots of I statements....



It sounds good. It’s an easy and enjoyable read. It’s motivational. But the heart message shared us that I can do it if I purpose to. If I set the right mental targets. If I don’t go it alone. But no where is the power of the Holy Spirit mentioned. Or a mind that is fixed on Christ. It’s in what I see as a danger zone because it’s published by a christian publisher. God is mentioned. But the vision is the idol of self in control. And that is packaged in a gift box to unwrap and believe the lies that I run my own life.  




Thankful to partner and read this book that I know will enter into the best seller list. Just sad that an opportunity to recognize Gods role in our lives was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment