Friday, September 21, 2018

Netgalley Partner: Suffering Gospel Hope When Life Doesn't Make Sense



This is a great book. Suffering is something we all face. The author is in the throes of his own suffering beyond his wildest expectations. He shares his story as well as the stories of others whom he has counseled. 

But most importantly he shares a theology of suffering in light of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Life with a helper, an advocate who is ever present and in control. 

It’s written in a way that the average person can grasp the suggestions, thoughts, concepts, and applications. I love the italics questions throughout steps to ponder and heart scripture to consider with the themes of each chapter, as well as the reflection questions for individual or group review. 

An example of the end of a chapter- one question and a heart reset:
When you pray that your hope would be “rooted in the fact that your Lord is in you, he is with you, and he is for you right here, right now” (p. X), how can you look differently at suffering? Heart Reset • Psalm 13:1–6; 27:1–14 • Isaiah 43:1 2

As one in the midst of unique suffering, being pointed back to dependence on a great and worthy God, and having all my wrong thinking and self indulgence systematically approached, it’s a hard, humbling, way to relatable read, but one that will resonate and be revisited over and over. 

I always finds the author's words help me know if a book is for me or not- here are some quotes....

Intro-- talking about suffering:

It was a surprise visit by an unwelcome visitor, like it is for so many sufferers. I didn’t know that day that Mr. Hardship would knock on my door, barge his way in, and take residence in the most intimate rooms of my life. And I didn’t have any idea how his presence would fundamentally change so many thing for the long run.

I didn’t think it would happen to me. Embarrassment washed over me as I thought of the silly platitudes and empty answers I had casually given people when they’d been caught in the confusing drama I was now in.

Because I did not have the power or control to make Mr. Hardship leave, I ran to the place where I have always found wisdom, hope, and rest of heart. I ran to the gospel of Jesus Christ, and in so doing, into the arms of my Savior. As I dove into the narrative of the gospel,which is the core message of God’s Word, I realized something profoundly important and wonderfully comforting: I wasn’t unprepared after all.

But I believe that God is good, and I did everything I could to run toward his goodness and not away from it.

Suffering has the power to expose what you have been trusting all along. If you lose your hope when your physical body fails, maybe your hope wasn’t really in your Savior after all. It was humbling to confess that what I thought was faith was actually self-reliance.

Suffering is never abstract, theoretical, or impersonal. Suffering is real, tangible, personal, and specific. The Bible never presents suffering as an idea or a concept but puts it before us in the blood-and-guts drama of real human experiences. When it comes to suffering, Scripture is never avoidant or cosmetic in its approach. The Bible never minimizes the harsh experiences of life in this terribly broken world, and in so doing, the Bible forces us out of our denial and toward humble honesty. In fact, the Bible is so honest about suffering that it recounts stories that are so weird and dark that if they were a Netflix video you probably wouldn’t watch it.

Trials reveal your true thoughts and desires, where you have been looking for life, where you have sought meaning, and where you have looked to give you hope. Suffering will always expose the true nature of your relationship to and communion with God. I won’t say much here, because a later chapter is dedicated to this topic, but your suffering will be all the more painful if you question the presence, promises, goodness, or faithfulness of God.

How are trust and identity connected? What have you put your trust in other than God? 2. Paul writes, “We should fear our delusion of strength” (p. X). Considering the chapter as a whole, what does this mean? 3. “Scripture works to prepare us, not so we would live in fear, but so we will be ready for the things we will all face” (p. X). Identify some passages or biblical stories to cling to in moments of suffering. 4. Have you questioned God regarding your suffering because you’ve thought it was punishment? What Scripture verses refute this belief? 5. Consider the things that can be brought to your suffering (poor theology, doubt of God, unrealistic expectations of life and of others, pride, materialism, and selfism). Pray that the Lord would expose your weakness and dependency and show you his care. Heart Reset • Romans 8:1–4 • 2Corinthians 12:9 • James 1:2–4 3

Thankful to read a netgalley copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment