Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Creative Correction

Power in the Word... how my whispering started

I first discovered the power of scripture in my parenting, after reading a book by Lisa Whelchel, entitled Creative Correction.

While my initial concept of correcting my children with scripture, may not be the best interpretation of God's Word, it started a conversation and it changed my heart...When my boys were fighting over who got to do things FIRST... I shared Matthew 20:16 with them "So the last will be first, and the first will be last" and we talked about this truth from God's Word and how it could apply in our lives... it  helped.. at first out of selfishness- my oldest let his little brother go first so he would be honoring God, and my youngest was too little to understand... but I had peace and an ongoing conversation from God's Word...  and when I told them it was from God's Word- it wasn't just an order, a direction, or a rule to follow. It was a truth that stood on it's own!

My second attempt was better scriptural interpretation. It is a concept that my boys have even shared on the playground with other boys.  1 Thessalonians 5:15  See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to all people. 

The key message to me was I had to know the Word of God and be meditating on it, so I could come up with examples to share TRUTH to my children in my discipline and instruction.   Because God's Word stands on it's own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment