Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Book Review: Life Without Lack by Dallas Willard


I am loving my 2018 books so far.   Not a dud among them, although I probably should come up with a warning, #straighttotheheart or something to let you know that there are books about the christian life that you can read, enjoy, and learn from, and then there are books that you read, re-read, think about, take some notes, and immediately apply the strategies the author endorses.  This book is one of those.

I did not expect a book written from notes of talks on Psalm 23, from a man who passed into glory in 2013, to have orders to be followed before you read his book.  He must have learned from Dora the Explorer's creators that kids listen to the TV, so why wouldn't readers listen to an author's written voice.

So the book, as I'm sure he did his talks, saying, each chapter, read through, meditate and process Psalm 23 before you jump into the book.  And I did it.  And it was a bold move on his part, but so meaningful to me. Here is the opening prayer for the book and it is a great example of how intimately connected and knowledgable Dr. Willard is of the Lord Jesus Christ and his intent with the book.



He also suggested that if I was really looking to have a #Lifewithoutlack that I should memorize it and say it out loud.  Well, at my youthful 45 years of age, that was a feat. I still haven't figured out what translation I originally memorized it in, but my 8 year old can testify with a whole list of translations that I do not know word for word, and oh was she entertained helping me check!  But hey,  as humbling as it was, when I skipped verses, or spoke them in the wrong order, we bonded and giggled over Mom's lack of ability to memorize a passage word perfect!  And that my friends, is whispering the Word to your child, in real authentic ways!

I selected this book, only knowing of Dallas Willard, and hearing his quotes regularly over my lifetime, but didn't know what to expect.  But since my One Word this year is "restore" and that is a key word in the passage, it seemed like a good choice.  And I know now, it was Holy Spirit that led me to be encouraged to follow Dr. Willard's directives and teaching.

First, yes he was a professor of Philosophy and well educated, but please know, the tone of the book, which others who knew him agree with, is warm, connecting, and as if you were talking with him.  I love it when I'm being educated and trained in a better view of God, and yet it's conversational and stretching to my cognitive brain.  His principles are so simple,  but he teaches you with depth, so that you will grasp how God works even more intentionally than you might suspect.








It's so hard to narrow it down to a few favorite aspects of the book, but I will try:

  • Tone of the book, conversational, stories, LOTS of scripture quoted in the book!  
  • Heart of the book, the information taught was shared out of a life of experience, and real concepts tested and taught by the author, it wasn't a one size fits the author kind of book, his ideas would work with many learning styles and personalities. 
  • Higher Level Thinking pervades the book, and you are drawn in to analyze, synthesize, apply and create your own thoughts/responses.  Real learning just happened as I read and meditated. 
  • A theme of the book was mindset of the reader, this was a wonderful unexpected bonus.  The mindset of someone who is growing in an intimate, personal, deep relationship with our great God is developed in the teaching, and Dr. Willard seemed so educated in brain research!  Here is a link to my mindset post from the concepts of the book, perhaps my favorite take away.  
  • A very hands on, practical last chapter, so simple, yet so helpful in ending the book with the reader a plan to try to spend the day with Jesus. 
Here is meme about the application of a mindset of a #lifewithoutlack: 

I highly encourage purcahasing or ordering this book via your favorite library, I do not think it will disappoint you.   Thank you for an advanced copy, it's been a great encouragement to my heart as I've read the book and applied it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment