Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Unseen Way Day 3

Sometimes you read a book and you love it, but you can't talk much about it a few weeks later.  But other times a book inspires you, motivates you, or captures your heart, and somehow you can't leave it behind.  That's how I'm feeling about Sara Hagerty's new book, The Unseen Way, the gift of being hidden in a world that loves to be noticed.

I'm a woman of the Word. I've had a love for it since I learned to read it every day at camp, at age 11, and came home and read through the whole Bible over the next two years.  But I'm also a woman who wants to be productive, to get things done, and sometimes, being in the Word has been a checkmark off the to do list.  But in this season of my life, I've learned it's so much more.  It's the air and nourishment I need to make it through the day.  It's the only source that helps me find joy in the journey and parent with connection and kindness as my focus.  If I miss my time in the Word, the people I love see it very clearly in my behaviors.

I remember a sermon a few years ago by Dr. Fish.  He made the same conclusion- that we are changed by the Word of God and our behavior reflects it.  It can be seen in us.

That's why this book has resonated with me.  Sara Hagerty not only shares her personal testimony of the impact the Word has in her heart, but also illustrations of how God impacts her children in those hard and unseen moments.  She's focusing her heart and theirs on adoration of who God is.  And she shows me how simple and easy it is to walk and talk the Word all through the day and nights of our lives.

On her website, she shares how she's learned to adore God, and even has created a tool that helps teach children the habit of adoration.


I'm learning how to spend time with God- by following Sara Hagerty's creation of the wonder hour, scheduled times in her busy day  to stop and seek Who God Is-- in this moment and how that can help her in that moment in her day, parenting, school, etc.

She models how she prays and her ideas are so simple, yet profound.  She's really showing us her thinking about how to be intimatly aquainted with the Lord and how the Holy Spirit has helped her to put habits in place to remember that God sees, loves, extends grace and rescue, and supports His followers at all times, it's us that forget to look at His face and ask for His help.  

No comments:

Post a Comment