Thursday, September 7, 2017

Book Review: Church of the Small Things by Melanie Shankle

My blog has become a series of book reviews and launches, and yet I believe these books are true to my vision- helping us learn to whisper the Word of God into our own souls, and then to the children we love and influence on a regular basis.  Books encourage my heart.  Today, I want you to meet an Author of four books, three of which I've enjoyed thoroughly.  Her name is Melanie Shankle, from Texas, and I was introduced to her as "Big Mama", as her daughter referred to her, (that daughter started high school this fall) and that's how her blog started.  She's grown a bit, and now goes by her given name.  But I still think of the attention that an author called "Big Mama" made me decide I needed to read her book.  I read Sparkly Green Earrings first a book about seeing Christ's light in parenting, as my end of year school's done celebration in 24 hours. Then I had the library order The Antelope in the Living Room, a book on marriage. Which I also adored and read in a few days!  Somehow in the busyness of life and kids, I missed No One's Cuter than You, but it's on my to read list!  

This book releases October 3, 2017.  Counting down the days, til you can all appreciate it for yourself!


Fun. Relatable. Laugh out loud funny. Easy read. Great vacation or stress reliever book. 


Nothing too convicting, but good pauses to look at God in our day to day lives. 









Spiritual encouragement with lighthearted humor.  But also helps the reader identify purpose in her life, and makes her smile at the author's stories of discovering God in her mundane (which may not seem all that mundane with her humor!)  

Simple biblical truths, encouraging the reader to see God in the little things because "being faithful in the small things, because those are the moments that prepare us for the next thing."


It's a book presented with stories, humor, and even a few tears written in an enjoyable manner with a bit of sass and reality that it takes many by surprise at the humor and boldness. But we all relate and keep reading. In "big mama" style! As I first learned of this author. And loved relaxing with her book.  You can see more about her and her blog at:  ChurchOfTheSmallThings.com   

Quotes I loved as lessons (but you have to read the book to see how the author makes these memorable!): 

  • "Because every moment in what some might consider a small life was a moment painted with great love." 
  • "When we open ourselves up to the life God has for us, it probably isn't going to feel safe, but it will be infinitely better because it's a life filled with purpose...
  • "We can never underestimate the grace and the strength he will give us for whatever he is calling us to do and whatever challenges we'll face."

As a 45 year old woman, we are in the same season of life and history, so I have many connections to her memories and life experiences, but even if you are much younger, you'll get it, she's funny and real. And I enjoy seeing her faith grow wings and her stories share her heart for God. Blessed to join the launch team, but the opinion is my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment