Thursday, June 7, 2012

Bible Book Lesson/Bible Features Lesson Part 2

Objective: To engage your children in thinking about the Bible as a book (with many types and helps in different Bibles), and guide students to discover what features their Bibles have and what types of Bibles exist, how those features help them understand the Bible, and to decide which Bible features and types that they personally like.

HOOK: Review the last lesson- where you found out what a bible 'feature' is-- review your post its or list.   Then ask the kids to show you the Bibles that they have.  

LOOK:   look at a verse in more than one translation.(discuss translations, what they are, just like languages, we can phrase it differently in  the same language)  It would be best if this verse connects to your recent devotions, Sunday school lesson, or has been used in the kids lives recently. 

If not choose a verse that commands us to be in the Word like John 8: 31-32.  Discuss...
  •  31 So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, “If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”  (ESV)
  • 31 So Jesus said to those Jews who had believed in Him, If you abide in My word [hold fast to My teachings and live in accordance with them], you are truly My disciples.32 And you will know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free. (AMP)
  • 31 Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. 32 And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” (NLT)
  • 31 Jesus spoke to the Jews who had believed him. "If you obey my teaching," he said, "you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth. And the truth will set you free."(NIVr)  

Divide into teams (we did an oldest and a youngest child together and made groups of 4-6 children and had an adult/older kid in each group, I gave each of the adults or the oldest child a card with these questions)

In small teams, ask which translation/features each of your kids have? (if they don't know, this is a way to connect and review Bible features, help them find it!)   Which do they like the best?   Why?

A note card I scribbled off 4 copies of last minute to help each group know what to do (with or without an adult)
 We used a post it note for every feature we found, and put them up on the white board to share and categorize as a big group (depends on how much time you have, how much you do with it,)  I have found that when every child talks, writes, and shares ideas in a small group, the actual sharing what EVERY post it says with the whole group is NOT necessary.  Especially if you leave them posted after the lesson.  

Then we set off to examine what types of Bibles we had brought with us. (if I had really thought this through, it should have been a separate lesson because of time! But we learn  by doing.) 

Task 2-- a second project.... 
Ask what types of features are in each of the Bible books that your kids brought.... Are all of the books Bibles there? if not is it a Bible or a Bible Storybook or a devotional or a picture Bible? What is it?  Why? Who is it appropriate for?  Who does it appeal to? 



TOOK:  As we finished the Bible sort, (more pics another day) We looked at how different all the groups had sorted their Bible type books, and discussed it. We paused and thanked God for His Word, and one of our leaders showed his iPhone- with his Bible app, and reminded the kids that they could have God's Word with them ALL THE TIME! 

There are so many ways to break up these concepts/lessons. I just think the key is whether one on one with your child, in a small group or a 25 person class- we need to be sure we equip kids to USE the Bibles they own or have around them!   Too often we just expect them to use them and we forget this is a new genre and some clear directions about how to use a Bible would be very appropriate, even for adults!

3 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I love the premise of your blog! I'm so excited for you! And I have to tell you, I love your handwriting! These cards with questions are a great idea!

    I'm glad one of your kids showed you the Bible App. Anymore, that's how I get the Word. http://www.dailyaudiobible.com is our main way of getting into the scriptures. I also use my kindle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love youversion and bible.org on the ipad for my always Bible.... I just am traditional with kids and want the kids to have them ALL-- the ones you can touch, see, feel, and the ones that you can flip through in a flash. :) I will do a link up one day with the comic book Bible app! It's cool!

      Delete
    2. It cracks me up that you love my handwriting! My students say that they cannot read it all the time! I love our tech savvy world and all my tools, but I still am old fashioned in some ways (and our home printers are not working) so old school it is some of the time! Maybe I will post my yellow pad lesson plan-handwritten on small paper to get me ready to deliver the lesson one day!

      Delete