Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Gifts to help Whisper the Word-- first to yourself

Before you help a child in an emergency (think traveling by plane or boat) you have to equip yourself with the needed tools to be safe and able to be present for the child. 

If you want to improve whispering the Word to yourself- my blog recommends MANY books that help with being in the Word and learning & growing yourself.  If you aren't a reader, but prefer a more traditional sermon, I've benefited greatly from the teaching of my local church Anchor. As of posting, there are 153 messages going back four years- starting with Mark, then Daniel, Walking with God, Philippians,  1 Corinthians, Isaiah, Ephesians, and now Luke. 

If you want a video course, I suggest Emmaus Ministries  youtube page or the distance learning program.  If you are a podcast person, the Emmaus Podcast is a great choice.

As we whisper the Word to our children- those we parent, those we teach, those who call us Aunt or Uncle, or who we are a special family friend... there are so many great resources available to do it well and have support from great books and props. 

I'm a huge believer in every child learns differently and needs to be taught differently.  Some kids learn best by hearing, others by listening, most with movement, some need a visual, some need patterns, others need logic, some need repetition, some need to re-enact and play through a lesson, others need art or music. 

If you want to learn more about how to reach the kids in your life the way God created them to be as an individual who is diverse and stands out as a unique one that God blessed with different natural talents and strengths. 

Here are some items to add to your wish list: 

Books and Resources by Kathy Koch.  She is a former teacher, turned educational psychologist, now speaker to many about Celebrating Kids.  She's a believer and her resources stand above the rest.  I've heard her speak and I've launched a few books of hers, and hope one day to meet this author whom I view as a kindred spirit in philosophies about kids and education.   Every new book and project I seem to appreciate her even more!  So I am not an affiliate or anything just completely blessed by her work!
8 Great Smarts: Discover and Nurture Your Child's Intelligences
8 Great Smarts... and in 2020 she is launching a video course to help adults learn how to reach all 8 smarts.  I'm sharing first because it's main focus, is what I was talking about above, and I'm reading it now!





The first book I read of hers- is still a favorite and my husband (who doesn't read non-fiction much) loved this book as I shared from it when we traveled.  No More Perfect Kids by Jill Savage and Dr. Kathy Koch. 
Screens and Teens: Connecting with Our Kids in a Wireless World



This led me to her book- Screens and Teens- a great resource for finding balance with teens and their electronics-- something they consider a NEED not a want-- and often function like it is an extension of their body! 



Her most recent book (my review)- Start with the Heart pulls together a little bit of knowledge from all her books and is an amazing parent resource, that is right up there with Raising the Challenging Child, yesterday's post.  






What I love about Dr. Kathy is that she uses the Word to share her learning and make her point!  In her new video teaching, she even reminds us when thinking about our kids' strengths or our own- that some strengths can be used in not so good ways and calls them out as sin-- and encourages us to not use our smarts for sin! 

I'd also suggest if you are looking for books for children of all ages... WTSbooks.com has many options and their suggestions have not led me wrong yet, and they do awesome sales and ship quickly, and I normally can get free shipping! 

Up next resources I love for your children or grandchildren.... to whisper the Word!

No comments:

Post a Comment