Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Advent Reading: Ann Voskamp

Tis the time of year where everyone wants to know what to read for advent.  I'm always an optimistic advent reader and purchase books and read parts of them each year, but rarely do I read all of the advent books made for adults cover to cover the year I start it.   But I've long since forgiven myself for failing at this task, and reminded me that any reading I do blesses my heart, head, and soul, so I continue to over-achieve in options, and underachieve in 100% of anything.  But I press on, say I won't order any new ones, and maybe this year I won't!  But I do also go through them when I plan my annual Sunday School lessons from a different angle than last year for our kids program, so they get used!  And they bring me joy!

I will start my reviews of advent materials with Ann Voskamp.  At this page, you can see images, read chapter one of her adult book, print off coloring pages (detailed that my daughter loved at ages 7-8).

Anne has a unique style, it is NOT for everyone.  She is a former day-spring greeting card writer and it shows in her style with great flowing descriptions and lots of imagery.  Pretty sure she writes for the picture smart readers of the world.   What I have found attractive with her writing from 1,000 gifts on, is her honesty, vulnerability, and truth telling pointing us back to the Word of God over and over, in ways that make me pause, be silent, still, and reflect.  Her thinking on the pages of her book, on her website, in her many memes and post it notes for your soul beckon me to seek God with a holy and simple child like faith and reverence because He is always at work in my life, heart, soul, and mind.  No matter how broken, successful, pious or humble I come- He's there and helps me become more like Him because I'm drawn to His character and Word by this kindred spirit author who mentors me from afar.

Another great thing about Ann's books and blog, are the free printables that go along with her books- from coloring pages, coloring ornaments, memes, sticky notes for your soul, etc.  She provides it all free for her subscribers and her images are beautiful, and her words speak to my soul.


Her book for adults for advent is by far my favorite-- it's called the Greatest Gift- and each day there is a reading, scripture, a place to journal, and you can print out sticky notes for the soul- and I've been blessed by these year after year!

A sample Sticky Note: Holiday Sticky Notes for the Soul


She also has a family read aloud that tells the Jesse Tree story day by day.  It's got a lot of print and text for each day, and many children struggle to sit through it all, but it's a gorgeous book, and I enjoy reading through the perspectives again and again.


Because it was a challenging read aloud, I suspect, came this next version- a book that opens up to be a tree- and there is a tiny book with short read aloud, and an ornament to hang on this tree that pops right out of the book each day.  It's gorgeous, simple and elegant.  At my house, flat surfaces to keep it on, are not always the easiest to find, so it's not the best fit for us, but I loan it out to others.
The Wonder of The Greatest Gift


This year?  there is an affordable option of wooden ornaments made by Caleb Voskamp.  I ordered mine and think they have been shipped as a pre-order, or will be shipped Nov. 22. Isn't my husband the best gift giver?  He lets me purchase my own joys and I always tell the kids- Dad buys me the best presents- and give him all the credit- because he loves that I love the choosing as much as the presents- and lets me treat myself- and is happy!

Unwrapping the Greatest Gift Ornaments

There is also a Greatest Gift DVD series- but I've not seen it myself, but any of her videos are delightful, she speaks truth with a gentle, soothing voice, but she has a powerful message to bring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment