Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Good Book Partner Book Review: Wherever You Go, I Want You to Know....

 

This book might just be my current favorite children's book!  And if you know me, that's a big deal! In my attempt to showcase children's books fairly, I'm sharing my what I like, educational connections, and what I wonder or would change or add... and if I write a book, editors I know make you pick and choose, but I have high standards!  

What I like about the book:

  • appealing rhyme and the rhythm it develops, making it appealing to ALL ages.  
  • Hardcover book in the style of the "I can Read books" of my childhood like Sammy the Seal, Danny and the Dinosaur, and more modern Dr. Seuss Hardback books.  Thick nice pages inside, make it a book that will endure a family with many children.  It feels good.  Right sized as well.  
  • Illustrations- the pages are fun, busy, and the characters and items are a bit silly or quirky, but it adds to the appeal. 
  • Multi-ethnic people throughout the book, children need to see people who look like they do. 
  • Formatting, the text is different sizes emphasizing key words, alliterations, descriptive words. 
  • The theme of the book, a BIG DREAM, is delivered by the Narrator of the book (hint, the one who reads it aloud- me or you!) has a BIG DREAM for YOU!  
  • The book brings in a mindset discussion with admitting we might win or loose, and suggesting we all have different feelings.  
  • Spoiler alert: The books purpose is that the audience/child "will love Jesus with all of your heart."
  • Message of who Jesus is, tells us who He is, and what He has done for us, and what He is doing for us. That represents the full gospel according to Titus 2:11-13, and I love the fun way this is the clear message. 
  • Loving Jesus with all of your Heart- brings in a God mindset discussion.  Deuteronomy 6:5
Educational Connections
  • Career choices
  • Travel--wherever you go... brings so many possibilities- missionaries, multi-ethnicity, geography, even  methods of travel, places we live and visit illustrations suggest farms, cities, museums, ...  
  • Rhyming Words/Poetry 
  • Adjectives, Adverbs, verbs
  • Science, Culture, Celebrations: Floating sky lanterns (traditionally Chinese, but modern America has events with these) 
  • Growth Mindset- Emotions, Adventures
  • Gospel message- past, present, future aspects- what God has done, is doing, and will do for those who believe.  
  • Walking and talking with Jesus- the Way, Truth, and Life.  Can easily teach about the Holy Spirit and God, full trinity.  Prayer. Following Jesus. King Jesus, His Word- the Bible, characteristics of God- faithful and true.  Sanctification- making things new.  
Here it is:  

Wonders or changes I might make to add value to the book:  

For the parents, teachers, camp counselors, grandparents who use this book...
  • Bible verses and references at the end or near the words/illustrations for the gospel message. 
  • How to lead a child to Christ
  • Key gospel points
Minor Wonders in illustrations:
  • a corded phone vs. chatting face to face, I suppose this is generic conversation, but this generation of parents have not all seen a corded phone!
  • Adults reading a red book with a cross on it- representing a Bible, but I wish it said BIBLE. 
I will be looking for more children's books by Melissa Kruger, who by the way has some other books for adults she's written, that intrigue me  As well as Isobel Lundie's illustrations.  

And if my thoughts were not enough, here is a review from Ann Voskamp, one of the authors/blogs that I follow. 



I've ordered 40 copies of the book so I don't need a disclaimer at the end of my review, and one via amazon for a baby shower already... but Westminster Bookstore (wtsbooks.com). My go to source for great deals on books I love that are well vetted.  Has it as a current special-- just a couple more days in August 2020.

Also the GoodBook website has coloring pages, free pdf of the gospel, and a contest going on right now as well.  So much goodness should brighten your day!  Now we just need to meet with all our beloved kids in person and share this message eye to eye!  

One last goodie...
Image may contain: 1 person, text that says '#Whereverdream HHaLY WHEREVER GO, Melissa Kruger WANT YOU Το KNOW. STAR BAKER Maggi ENTER TO WIN A KIDS' BOOK BUNDLE'

  Submit your photo here

No comments:

Post a Comment