Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Waterbrook Multnomah Book Partner: Becoming Us by Robin Jones Gunn

As we whisper the Word to our children, one way I've found to be walking and talking the Word is to read books that show me how the characters think about God throughout their lives, and this book is a great example and shows thinking that women can identify with about how God is with us.

We are living in a time where we need a haven in life. This is book #1 in the haven makers series. I can't wait for the next one. I've always enjoyed Robin Jones Gunn's story crafting ability, and I love that she writes stories for women across different life seasons.  This story involves Christy and Todd of her well known series- but Christy is not the main character but one of the circle of friends.  

 I found this book to be a place of safety and refuge. It’s a well crafted story told from Emily’s point of view about finding your self, your strength, style, and stronghold in the storms and joys of life. In true Robin Jones Gunn style there were tears of joy and laughter, as well as grief and struggle. This book wove faith and God being present and real in our lives as a theme underlying the characters growth, but not in an overpowering way. 

Other themes were motherhood, female friends, marriage, secondary infertility, finding yourself, relationships with your Mom, and art. This is a great example of why I read, it soothes my soul, and inspires me with new ideas, like a blessing of another as a celebration of a new season of life. Thankful to partner with Multnomah and read an ARC of an author whose Sisterchicks and Glenbrooke Series I had previously read.

Here is a video link of Robin Jones Gunn talking about her inspiration to write this series. 

No comments:

Post a Comment