Tuesday, December 11, 2018

IVP book review: Spiritual Practices in Community by Diana Shiflett

I

Diana Shiflett is an amazing writer who brings to life how to lead or use spiritual practices in your own life or in the groups you lead. She has a heart for hearing God, training others in learning to be silent and hear God personally, her writing is approachable, helpful, with great examples to help the reader grasp how these strategies work across different ages and groups. And I’m recognizing some of her strategies are practices I’ve adopted, but I didn’t realize had names or were recognized. She’s centered on the Word and her ideas are achievable, simple, relevant and well grounded.


It's been so encouraging with ideas on how to improve my prayer, bible journaling, anxiety with spiritual practices-- The author has a degree in youth ministry, a Masters in Psychology from Wheaton and an MDiv. And she has great teaching skills in print plus she's fun- reminds you to laugh at yourself- and encouraging- it's an easy to read book- but I want to go back and read it slow and try EVERY one of her ideas or her ways of implementing spiritual practices to know God more intimately and experience Him in new ways. I read over 50 books each year- and this one makes the top of my list as beneficial and worthy of your reading it. 
My suggestion for improvement is pictures of journaling examples, labyrinth prayer, etc. to bring it even more alive to those of us unfamiliar with these practices.
Blessed to partner with #intervarsitypress and get to read and advanced copy and review.

No comments:

Post a Comment