Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Book Review: Freedom to Coach Model by Jill Monoaco

This is not my ordinary book review.  It's a book that is a different genre than I would typically read, it's a book of guidance written by a therapist/life coach, who has learned how to guide others in the Word and prayer to overcome their spiritual bondage with incorrect thinking.  But as a mom to a kiddo from a hard place, I've attended therapy for over 3 years, and I've read books that are therapeutic to learn how to take care of my self and to help our kiddo grow and gain the skills that he struggles with.  So I was very intrigued to read a book,that is addressed to adults on the same thoughts, with the whole foundation being trading the lies in your head with the truth from the Word of God- which is ultimately what I've learned to do with my kids when they are at their limits.  Share scripture, pray scripture, discuss scripture, music that is influenced by scripture, etc...  I was so pleased to find a short, easy read that teaches the reader how to overcome and find freedom in the truth of God.  


Image may contain: text


I read this book as a trauma mamma, knowing that freedom in Christ, is part of the need and God intended plan for finding real freedom from lies, falsehoods, wrong perceptions, memories that may or may not be real, and the only way to overcome the strong emotions that capture and destroy lives. It aligns well with CBT (cognitive behavior) therapy and seeking to find the truth to replace the lies that become strongholds that destroy a person.  (and that works with the Word of God.) 

Image may contain: text


I was encouraged by the scripture rich foundation that the prayers are built on. I didn't feel equipped to evaluate the theological perspective, as I personally see the Spirit work and adjust thinking to mirror what each of us needs. I was given an advanced copy to review,but asked for my personal opinion whatever it may be.  And I enjoyed it, found it beneficial, and when I find myself with lies in my head- I will use it to work through the problems and find the truth to integrate into my being.  That work takes time, takes prayer, takes commitment, but this tool would definitely have helped me a lot 3 years ago to learn more about myself and helping another overcome lies in his head.  

Image may contain: text

No comments:

Post a Comment