Sunday, June 27, 2021

Lessons on The Gospel- books and resources to help you share the truth with your children

I've spent all of 2021 building lessons and resources in order to help pre-schoolers know what the gospel is, reviewing, playing games, and developing the ability to talk about all God has done and is doing in the lives of His people.  

I had no idea there were so many published books on the Gospel.  I thought since this project has gone on over so many months, I should create a central post and share my overall favorite books to use with our littles at church!  

Repetition is key for young kids and these books I read multiple times with the preschool kids.  



Jesus Saves by Sarah Reju that I reviewed before it released in March, is probably my top choice, the rhyme factor, the simple terms that it uses, with questions to connect with the children, and helps them understand that Jesus loves me, loves who? loves me!  Asking Who is my King? King of who? King of me? and you?  Defining sin simply as the wrong things we do, wanting what others have, or taking things.  And me choosing to be king of me.  My explanation is nowhere near as clear as going through this book with a group of children.  A golden crown or two circulating and being worn as we ask if I am King of me? or if I let King Jesus be my King.  Here is a link where the author reads the book aloud!

This crown is soft, flexible, and the velcro adjusts to fit me or to fit a 2-year-old!  So far I have two for our little church program and they are a hit!  


Wow! The Gospel in Four Words by Dandi Daley MacKall


This book is a bit longer and so I didn't read all the words depending on how well the kids were doing listening, but the best part about the gospel is the story remains the same, and different authors find inventive ways to make it easy to grasp and to remember for children.  The hook of this story is the four words that you use to retell the story: Wow, Uh-Oh, Yes, Ahh!, and Wow!  Tyndale shares these free printables to help engage children.  

You can print finger puppets to help tell, review, and retell the Good News.  I put mine on popsicle sticks for ease of use and because the laminating made them hard to wrap around.  The kids really enjoyed these.  


The other book that really helped to tie the gospel into our Acts series is about Paul in jail.  I reviewed this book originally here.  And here is an explanation of how I used it this year.  







These images helped me create the visuals and story that I shared earlier this month.  

  • My littles start with the fact that God made the world- and He does good work (thumbs up!). He made me and you.  
  • God loves me and you- He loves me so much that He sent His Son Jesus to rescue us from our sin.  
  • Jesus loves me- and Jesus loves you!  
  • Sin is disobeying your parents, take things that don't belong to you!  We also do the actions and words that have been used in our AWANA program.  Sin is anything you say (point to your mouth), think (point to your head), or do (move your hands) against God.   
  • Sin is wanting to be king of me. King of Who? King of me!  I want to be in control, instead of letting Jesus be my King.  
  • I need to say No! to sin.  .... tomorrow I will share the lesson we have done when we have this conversation about sin originally from a John the Baptist lesson.  


No comments:

Post a Comment