Saturday, February 27, 2021

New Growth Press Partner Review: God Made Me for Heaven by Marty Machowski Illustrated by Trish Mahoney

 


This book is in the series of "God made me" books from New Growth Press, but this book is geared for ages 8-11.  So that's important to know.  Several of my recent reviews have been geared for preschool ages.  

What I like about this book:
  • This book is written as a story with a group of children playing and asking their friends Grandma questions about heaven as they are celebrating the start of summer.  She does the teaching as she talks about heaven and forever.  
  • This book teaches about the abstract concept of eternity.  In the process, it also deals with death and the question will I see grandpa again.  Such an appropriate question from children.  
  • Scripture references that connect with concepts are listed on the pages.  
  • The Gospel is clearly explained and connected to those who go to heaven.
  • Scripturally accurate teaching about heaven.  Shares the biblical facts.    
  • This book has some complex concepts.  But when thinking like an 8-11-year-old, I think it's appropriately done. 
What I wonder about this book:
  • Should eternal be defined? or more clearly explained?  
  • What about eternal death?  Not sure if you could accomplish that in one book or not. But it's not mentioned at all, at the end of the book in the follow-up pages, a discussion question is what happens to those who don't go to heaven? but the answer isn't there- it will be up to the parents to direct that conversation.  
  • Will 8-11 years find the playing in the yard and illustrations age-appropriate? or will they lose interest?  
  • How many adults know that there are going to be 12 fruits in heaven? and how will they respond when their children ask about this after being read the book or reading it together?  It's a very specific fact.  I'm not sure I knew that before reading the book!  
Thankful to partner with New Growth Press and read an early copy of this book.  I'm not as often reviewing picture books for this age- so I'm not sure what I think about it.  I won a hard copy from a facebook give away so once it arrives, I'll get my daughter's input.  She's 11.  

No comments:

Post a Comment