Sunday, February 21, 2021

Wow! The Good News in Four Words by Dandi Daley Mackall Choice D

 


This is a hardback book or paperback book.  I purchased the hardback book and it's a nice size for reading to a group, I'd guess it's 10inches by 10 inches.  Published by Tyndale.  Written by Dandi Mackell and Illustrated by Annabel Temptest.  Published in 2017.

What I like about the book:

  • It achieves the goal. It shares the gospel in a fun, interactive, engaging child-centered way.  The words are familiar, it rhymes, it's a good size hardbound book with sturdy pages, and its illustrations are warm and friendly.  Setting up for a great read-aloud to share the good news. 
  • It includes the word sin- for the "uh-oh".  I like that it's using the biblical term.  And our kids learn early on that sin is anything we say, think, or do against God.   (point to your mouth, head, and move your hands as actions.)  
  • Note to Parents and then the four words to emphasis.  
  • Fun printables available to go with it!  Finger puppets.
  • Nice sturdy pages.  The graphics that go with the words: Wow!, Uh-oh, Yes, and Ahh, are included on the pages, and again at the end with the verses that go with each one.  
  • Verses that correspond with the events mentioned are all referenced at the back of the book, and you can print them here
  • The book has rhyme, yet child-friendly word choices, the 4 repeated words, for easy connections- here are some quotes from the book:


What I wonder about the book:
  • It's a 9-minute read-aloud.  Is this too long? will the rhyme and four words keep the kids with me?  
  • Can I read it with the 2-6-year-old class, when it's designed for over 4-year-olds? I'm gonna try.  
A few of the pages to me are hard to read because they are cluttered with visual and text, most pages have the text in a white background, but a few are more like this:




Right now- this is my first choice book to read aloud in children's church.  I may also bring the Gospel board book as a backup choice if our main meeting goes over time and I'm really short on time.  With its size, rhyme, the finger puppets to go with it- it's my best chance to keep the kids with me in my lesson today.  I also happened to be in Walmart this week, with Valentine's day things 90% off, and was able to pick up clear bouncy balls with hearts inside, and packages of heart-shaped plastic slinky type toys and it was 19 cents for 12!! So I can wow kids- but when they end up under the van seats, or in the trash- they will still remember the feeling and joy of their Jesus loves ME! and Jesus loves YOU! prizes to go with the Good News!  I love teaching littles and making them smile and bring joy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment