Thursday, September 24, 2020

Goodbooks Partner: There is a Lion in My Nativity written by Lizzie Laferton and illustrated by Kim Barnes



A review written about the book without spoiling the actual story.  It's biblical, it's cute, it's fun and unique, and it makes me smile as I read it and wish I could fast forward to Christmas and read this aloud to many, many precious littles!  

Things I like about the book:
  • The way it is written, narrated by Sam, with the Rescuer King as the focus.
  • The element of surprise throughout the book.  
  • The characters in the nativity and how they appear.  
  • The rhythm and rhyme that continues throughout the tale
  • The scriptures shared with the cast of characters on the last page. 
  • The twists in the plot that share the real meaning of Christmas but in a style like no other.  
  • The illustrations are warm, friendly, detailed, yet simple, and I really enjoy the style and find it child friendly.  
Education Connections: 
  • Taking other events in the Bible and adding a few extra characters like this story. 
  • Critical thinking skills are built.  
  • Fluent thinking.  
  • Point of View/Perspective
  • The spelling of words centre vs. center (why it's different for Americans)
Things I wonder about the book: 
  • Will kids grasp what Sam is explaining?
  • With COVID, I don't have access to share the story with littles and gauge their reactions, so I do wonder what ages this book is best written for.  
  • How will our teens find a way to enjoy this book written with a style that they will relate to, but will they be too cool to enjoy it. I really think it would be a great book for a youth group, and even as a game before the students have heard the book.  
If you want to really know what I'm talking about you can read example pages here.




The physical books are en route to be ready for the October 1st released date, and I will get one then, but I can't comment on the physical book yet because I had to read a pdf version, which in my mind also limits how I can share the book, as it's not the same to read a book on a screen to a group of kids.  

Grateful to partner with goodbook children company.  Once again they do not disappoint!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment