Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Goodbooks Partner: A Better than Anything Christmas by Barbara Roech







What I like about the book:
  • This is an interactive, engaging family book.  It's designed to write and draw inside the book.  With questions for older and younger children to be asked and answered, as well as a daily place to create as a family a response.  
  • Daily scripture readings are the foundation of the reading.  
  • At the start, the author clarifies vocabulary that will come up throughout the book, great educational & reader connection.  
  • Each day follows a pattern: Explore, Explain, Engage, Enter in, then a task to complete about the day. 
  • Excellent Questions in the readings.  Will develop critical thinking skills.  


What I wonder about the book:  
  • Will children and/or teens find it worthy of repeating and discussing each day?  I've enjoyed a lot of advent readings, that my family has not found so delightful.  I will have to see how it goes over.  A lot of it is personality and the reader 'selling' it to those who will listen.  I find this book sellable.  
  • My real wonder is if there are more ideas for the activity beyond- draw or write ideas.   This part only reaches two learning styles, and this is the aspect that would affect my family the most. The author does say 'or something else' often, but that leaves it to the readers to inspire their family with the other ideas.  I'm an educator and could easily enhance the ideas.  But most families may struggle.   
Thankful to partner with the goodbook company and read an advance copy of this book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment