Monday, May 10, 2021

Waterbrook Partner: I Love Jesus But I Want to Die by Sarah Robinson

 I have walked with many who struggle with severe depression, I have parented a suicidal child, I know that mental health struggles and exist even in people who have a deep and strong faith.  So when I saw this book available as a launch team option, I knew I wanted to read a believer's perspective on a very real struggle. 


  
I am encouraged by this book that the author reveals her real experiences, sharing the extreme examples of her self-harm, and suicidal tendencies in a different style and font, so that if you might be triggered you can skip that section and the details that don't need to be glorified of how extreme her behaviors and actions were when her brain was unbalanced and she was deeply depressed.  
I've read lots of research on trauma, on how our brains work, and how how to help heal those who have endured trauma, and have found that the proven strategies that are found to work, are founded in unconditional love, support, relationship, and connection.  But depression and anxiety can't all be managed with other people supporting and loving you, sometimes there is a need for medication and other strategies to help the brain function and the author reminds us of that, as well as how shame impacts our own self-talk and beliefs about who we are.  She references well-known research in the field.  
In this book, Sarah Robinson shares her experiences with those who lacked knowledge and awareness of mental illness, and their platitudes that hurt, but the love and acceptance that was real, and overarching.  She shares scripture throughout her story and truths to help recognize how God feels about the human beings He created.  

I appreciated her input on neuroplasticity, that as we "rewire our perceptions of God to better line up with the truth of who He is."  It makes so much sense and fits with all I have learned about how we can re-wire a brain through real relationship, which is exactly what I have experienced as I've grown to know God personally.  
I have found this book an excellent resource to inform my practice and draw closer to God, and a healthy mindset focusing on the fact that He created me and calls me "Beloved."  I have found this book to be something I can recommend to others struggling with anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts.  I think this book would be excellent for leaders in the local church to read and learn how to be most effective when someone struggling with issues like these, seeks out their love, support, and help.  


Thankful to partner with Waterbrook Publishing and read an advance copy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment