Saturday, March 27, 2021

Easter Book Review: Are We Nearly There Yet? by Alison Brewis and Illustrated by Jenny Brake

 Have you heard of 10ofthose.com?  

Here is a link to their mission page.  They sell Christian resources, in the US they offer to ship for $1, and if you want it faster you can add UPS shipping options.  I've mainly paid attention to their children's resources as those fit my mission, but I have read and value many of the authors whose books they offer, and agree they choose quality books.  

My Mom trusted the Lord after her Mom read to her a book entitled Treasures of the Snow by Patricia St. John.  She and my Grandmother introduced me to many books by this author that I enjoyed in my childhood/teens.  And 10ofthose actually have published some of those books and more through their company.  

They have also introduced me to new resources.  This week I discovered a new book about Easter and actually ordered a case of 50 copies- since it made this children's book only $2 a book, inexpensive enough to give every family at the chapel with littles a copy, as well as a few grandparents, and some left to offer to those who have community members that they are connecting with and developing relationships with.  



So I thought I'd review the appeal of this book-- the first appeal is that I could view the entire book online before purchase.  

What I like:

  • Feel of the book: solid cover, glossy pages, the book cover is just smaller than my hand, a perfect size for kids to enjoy.  
  • Illustrations are engaging, detailed, enhance the event described, the people are realistic yet appealing.  
  • The story begins and ends with a family trip to Grandma's house to celebrate Easter.  But in the car, the real Easter story is shared.  
  • The events of Jesus' life are shared with simple, yet connecting details, in rhyme, with fun, yet honest aspects brought out.  I love the theme of "are we nearly there yet?"  and the discussion of Jesus being recognized as King.  
  • The gospel is simply shared that Jesus dying to forgive us.  
  • Notes for parents at the end, as well as the places in the Bible where you can read the full events of history.  
What I wonder:
  • if this book is given to an unbeliever how will it be accepted? understood? do you need a level of biblical education to fully grasp it?  
  • How to use this book with older kids-- without a lot of thought I think it would be fun to add other key aspects of Jesus' travels- and even go into Acts with the question- are we there yet? is Jesus reigning King at this point?  Is He my reigning King?  
  • Discussions about why the disciples thought the trip in Jerusalem went the way that it did- why were they surprised at the events?  How could people celebrate Jesus on Sunday and kill Him on Friday?  A discussion of how going along with the crowd can lead to big mistakes- and not a lot of thinking.  
  • Should I only give this to families who have children 7 and younger?  

No comments:

Post a Comment