Saturday, October 24, 2020

goodbooks partner review: Moses and the Very Big Rescue by Tim Thornborough

The Very Best Bible Story Series

Written by Tim Thornborough and Illustrated by Jennifer Davison

Every book in the series includes on the first page: "in this true story from the Bible."  This is a connection I made last year and I have started to try to change my vocabulary when sharing a lesson from the bible I try to say, today I have a biblical event to share with you.  And I've been trying to eliminate story from my teaching the Bible language.  It is easier for me to remember to tell children that each lesson from the Bible is true.  

This is a new series for me. There were four books published in November 2019- Noah, Jonah, Daniel, and David & Goliath.  In 2018, the series began with, A Very Noisy Christmas and in January 2019, A Very Happy Easter.   Next month, November 16, 2020, to be exact,  this book and Deborah are launching to the world.  These books are designed for the 2-4-year-old.  Compared to the Tales that Tell the Truth Series,  that I have reviewed a few of the books from, and that I own all of this series.  That is geared to ages 3-6, but I've used it with elementary-age children regularly as well.  I recently discovered that the goodbook company makes it easy for kidmin people to use their books in their ministry by providing all the artwork images in a file for each of the children's books they produce.  So that you can show it on a large screen while reading the book aloud.  

So on with my normal routine-- a book review.  

What I like about the book:

  • Illustrations- not only are the pictures warm, friendly, modeling expression, and emotion, the illustrations include painted words, some large for emphasis.  The people and images seem to jump off the page.  The color choices are realistic yet there is whimsy present as well.  
  • Developmental concepts included in the book- counting down! 
  • Lots of great descriptions with active verbs, adjectives, and alliteration.  
  • Fun. Vivid. Inclusive. Active. Enjoyable. True. Accurate. 
  • Focus is on the TRUTH, and the portrayal for kids of this historic event is done with novelty, passion, and it is made memorable with the style of the writing and images.    

What I wonder about the book:

  • Why do people capitalize God, but not capitalize the pronouns that refer to Him?  Am I just old school?  I think that God deserves to be recognized as God and respected for His character and nature with a capital letter. 
  • Is it too long for the littles?  I only have the pdf, with the virus, the printed copies are not done as planned.  And while it is fun and engaging, it's hard to judge if it's too involved and wordy or not.  

Educational connections:

  • As explained above, "this is a true story from the Bible."  So discussing true vs. fiction.  
  • Bible is the Word of God.  It is true.  Lessons on why we know the Bible is true. 
  • The Plagues- bring in darkness vs. light, different animals and insects, so many concepts. 
  • Pharaoh and his fit in history (if this is older kids). His power vs. God's power.  
  • Concepts: Counting down, Description, People and Sin- hard hearted, stubborn 

Thankful to partner with the goodbook company and review this book. I hope to get to read all the others.  

Tim Thornborough is the publishing director of the goodbook company.  I enjoy his article on the Gospel Coalition site.  



No comments:

Post a Comment