Thursday, October 22, 2020

Chosen Partner Review: Spiritual Intelligence: The Art of Thinking Like God by Kris Vallotton

I am fascinated by brain research and how we can re-wire our brains and make them stronger.  A book about spiritual intelligence intrigued me.  Reading the information about the book, talked in concepts that I have learned about and embraced like mindset, EQ emotional intelligence, and IQ intelligence quotient and it added the component of SQ spiritual quotient.  It mentioned the book would share five dimensions of spiritual intelligence.  So it sounded like a book for me.  

I knew that it was from a smaller focused aspect of Baker/Bethany books- and the description is:  chosen publishes well-crafted books that recognize the gifts and ministry of the Holy Spirit and help readers live more empowered and effective lives for Jesus Christ.  In the email, it suggests that these books will be Charismatic.  So I was not sure what to expect, but the forward is written by a neurologist.  And the vocabulary seemed to build into my background knowledge and would expand my horizon, even if it might vary from my core theology.  

In reading the book, I completed a Spiritual Intelligence Assessment.  I enjoyed the author's biblical insight, regular connections to events in the Bible, and people from history, as well as clear verses about the Holy Spirit's role in our lives.  The author's style mixes facts and his experiences and attempts to define terminology, and the concepts the author develops.  

This book stretched me, and I'm not sure that I have enough experience and background knowledge to really grasp the full intent and meaning of how the author is developing his own SQ.   The first warning was his discussion of the gifts of the Spirit, of how his pastor had typically preached about a gift in the morning, and in the Sunday evening meeting the time was spent "experimenting with one another with the Holy Spirit."  But I kept reading and recognized many concepts about familiar brain research discussed in the next two chapters, and it was grounded in concepts that made sense to me.  

As the book moved on, the next area that had me wondering was the concept of thinking like God and taking on His divine thinking.  This is where I began to search for a better understanding of the concepts, and the first time the author suggested that the reader was ready to complete the assessment and measure my Spiritual Intelligence to set goals for growth, I did.  This expanded the five areas of SQ in my understanding and matched with the examples from the book of the author's experiences and growth, I realized that this book is not one that I can give a fair review.  I need more interaction with others about how the gifts of the Holy Spirit appear in our lives, and how they are manifested.  I believe that the author is growing in SQ, and with reading over half of the book, I believe my mindset has been impacted and I'm growing spiritually.  

The book's intent is to be practical teaching on how to grow your SQ.  It is practical.  There are stories, there are metaphors, there are many biblical connections, he has the experience to share.  So it seems to be a well-done non-fiction book.  But to really grasp the intent, the areas of growth, and the SQ that the author is trying to develop in the reader, I'm not ready to measure that with my knowledge and understanding.  Nor am I ready to rate the book fairly.  so I will post it as a 3-star book- since I can't judge it as great or good, nor can I determine if it's inaccurate or unbiblical.  

Thankful to partner with Chosen Books and expand my horizons and have a new area to grow in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment