Monday, August 9, 2021

Goodbook Partner Review: God's Very Colorful Creation


 The Very Best Bible Story Series

Written by Tim Thornborough and Illustrated by Jennifer Davison

Every book in the series includes on the first page: "in this true story from the Bible."  This is a connection I made last year and I have started to try to change my vocabulary when sharing a lesson from the bible I try to say, today I have a biblical event to share with you.  And I've been trying to eliminate story from my teaching the Bible language.  It is easier for me to remember to tell children that each lesson from the Bible is true.  

What I like about the book:  

  • The book opens with a discussion of how many colors are in the rainbow, and ask the reader to point out different colors on the page. 
  • The illustrator uses bold colors, expressive people, and beautiful blending of colors, images, that are warm and friendly.  
  • The author's use of descriptive language and alliteration. (He also introduces a lot of fun color words-puce, scarlet, papaya, cold gray light...) 
  • This author has a gift for adding in a repeated phrase that reflects God- in this book it is "This is good," said God "It is so, so good."  
  • The value God has in His creation- man in His image that are "beautiful and fabulous variety."
  • Joy in creation!  
What I wonder: 
  • When God made people, the image and text talk about ALL the diverse people He made, and I wonder how this page and the biblical text will be taught to the littles who hear the true story, will they be confused at all the people when Genesis 1 refers only to man and woman- Adam and Eve being made. 

Educational Connections:
  • Colors- art, blending, primary, secondary, the color wheel
  • Descriptive language
  • Alliteration 
  • Types of stars- giants, dwarf
  • Counting as the days are clearly labeled
  • Value in diversity- God made men and women with "beautiful and fabulous variety."  
Thankful to partner with the goodbook company and review this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment